Skip to main content
Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow

Featured post

Time to Run - The New Walking Dead Book

My Works - Wattpad My Books on Amazon here . I have some ongoing stories on Wattpad ... check them out...

1. A New Job

     
Photo credit: Dee Larkin (views of New York)


I was happy to start my new and exciting job today. I was going to be an assistant to the famous Doctor Darrell Simmons. He had invented many scientific creations for the government. Now he worked for this new Scientific company that researched science in ways I hoped that I would one day understand.
The building was tall and very elaborate in its design. The tower must be at least 60 to 70 floors high. I wondered which floor I would be working on as I moved closer to my new career. I knew I had to report to the 20th floor to meet my new boss but that was just a meeting point according to what I had been told in my letter of employment.
I walked inside and told someone at the front desk that it was my first day here and that I had to report to the 20th floor. The guy gave me a temporary visitor badge and told me to check-in with security before going up in the lift. I was feeling nervous. I had wanted this job for so long and now I was finally here; all the way from London to New York City.
The 20th floor arrived. I walked out of the lift and through some glass doors where I found a receptionist sitting behind a desk.
“Hello. My name is Lucy Bridges and it’s my first day here for work. Do you know where I should be?” I asked nervously.
“Have you got a name of someone who you should report to?” The receptionist looked up at me and waited.
“Of course. Doctor Darrel Simmons. He's the Science Technician and I will be his new assistant.”
The receptionist picked up her telephone.
“Hello, is that Doctor Simmons? I have Lucy Bridges here.” The receptionist then put down the telephone and said, “Doctor Simmons is on his way to meet you. Just take a seat over there. He will be here shortly.”
“Thank you.” I walked over to the couches and sat waiting patiently for Doctor Darrel Simmons to arrive.
I looked around at the plush settings of the reception area. The walls were white whilst the reception desk was made of glass. I noticed how fancy everything was and there was a rich smell in the air that oozed of power and money.
A man approached me. He wore glasses and had scruffy, curly dark hair that somehow suited him. He was wearing a white coat as a doctor does. He was tall, slim and eccentric in his mannerisms. As he came closer he smiled at me and put out his hand for me to shake.
"Hello, Miss Bridges. Nice to see you again. I hope you are settling into New York city life now." I shook his hand and stood up quickly, smiling as I did so.
"Hello, Sir. Yes, it has been great and I'm happy that I am here now." He looked the same as ever since our last meeting for my job interview and I was in awe of his work. Finally, excitement took over my nervousness, as we walked to the lift.
Doctor Darrell Simmons smiled deeply with seedy, brown eyes. He walked with a shuffle as he held his walking stick. I wondered what was wrong with him but I didn't want to intrude by asking him.
We entered the lift and he pressed the button for the 40th floor. I hadn't realized we were going up so high. The lift doors opened and I followed him to his labs. I was excited that I was finally here to learn about his work. It had taken a few years to get this far with a lot of studying and education, but I had finally done it. It was going to be worth it at last.
I stared at Dr Darrell Simmons and wondered how he did it. The creations he made were always so clever and interesting. The last one had been top secret and I was hoping I would finally get to see it or even get to work with this famous doctor when it came to experimenting with one of his creations. 
I wanted to impress him with my own insights and ideas too. This was going to be the most interesting job I had ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Nothing had ever happened to me like this before but I had got here because I had dedicated my life to studying with lots of hard work and determination. Now I was finally here as I walked out of the lift with a huge smile on my face!

    To be continued............

Read Chapter 2






Copyright 2018 Denise Larkin.  All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to The Chair - A Sci-Fi Novel Set in New York

An Introduction to The Chair and the cast will be revealed in this post. The Chair is a sci-fi story set in a fictional New York City. Check out who plays Lucy Bridges, Peter Williams and Dr Darrel Simmons along with other fictional characters that may pop up in the story.  These fictional characters maybe from movies, tv shows and more. Some of them so far have been Damon from The Vampire Diaries , Dean and Sam Winchester from Supernatural. Now find out who is starring in The Chair . New York City - taken by Denise Larkin

10. Doctor Darrell's Answer

The Chair "Hello, Doctor... it's Lucy," I said.

The Chair - A Fiction Novel by Dee Larkin

Photo credit: (taken in New York) by myself The Chair by Denise Larkin Read on below...