Skip to main content
Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow

Featured post

Time to Run - The New Walking Dead Book

My Works - Wattpad My Books on Amazon here . I have some ongoing stories on Wattpad ... check them out...

10. Doctor Darrell's Answer

The Chair
"Hello, Doctor... it's Lucy," I said.

"Hi... is everything okay?" He asked.
"Yes... I've just shown Peter the chair and he's asking to try it. Do I have your permission to let him do that Doctor?" I asked apprehensively.
I hoped he wouldn't let him.
"Wow... already? He seems a bit too enthusiastic... what do you think?" He asked and I had to turn away from Peter to answer so he wouldn't see my face.
"Well... I think it's too soon," I said in a low voice so Peter wouldn't hear.
"I see... then I am not prepared to let him go that far yet. Give him the manual to read and tell him I will speak to him tomorrow," he said.
I was relieved. I was sure he would let Peter try it but Dr Darrell was right... he was too enthusiastic.
"Yes, Dr Darrell... thank you."
"Good... speak to you soon Lucy... bye for now."
"Bye Dr Darrell."
I ended the call and took one look at Peter's expression. He was angry it seemed. The smiles and the joy at seeing the chair were now gone. I was unsure what to do or say next as I approached him.
"I'm sorry... but... Doctor Darrell believes it's too soon. He said you should read the manual and he will call you tomorrow."
I handed him the manual and he snatched it from me. He didn't seem too keen to look at me. Was he embarrassed? It did seem that way, although he glanced at the manual and seemed somewhat interested in it. I knew he would definitely read it because of his interest in the chair. He was drawn to it and much more than I had ever been. 
I suddenly felt a chill go through me. It was an eerie feeling I couldn't shake off as I stood there staring at Peter. I, suddenly, saw something move through his expression. I couldn't figure it out but I did see Peter's skin turn pale and a shade of green glistening sparkled his eyes. 
Seeing this frightened me so I stepped away from him slowly. Was he that angry? What was it that I had seen? Could he be dangerous?
I shook the scary thought out of my mind. I didn't know what I had seen but I was now feeling weary of Peter. Something was off about him. I was sure of it. I made a mental note to myself to never be alone with him again. Did he have anger issues? Was he someone that couldn't be trusted? 
As I stepped back again, Peter noticed. He came towards me with one hand held outwards and I could see his eyes glow. I nearly fell backwards with shock. I couldn't speak or say anything as he realised what I had seen. What was wrong with him? Was he ill? I didn't know what to think or what I had just seen but it scared me.
He, then, stormed out of the room but as Peter past me, I felt his arm brush mine. I felt an electric tingling sensation go through me. It felt like a burn of some kind but it only lasted for a minute. I was left standing there alone, feeling sick at what I had seen and felt. I couldn't explain it. Had Dr Darrell come across anything like this with Peter before? How well did he know him? 
The thought of Peter being ill or demented was something I had to tell Dr Darrell before he let him experience the chair. It had said in the manual that anyone who was ill should not use it!
I couldn't deny how childish and arrogant Peter had been but he there was denying that there was something wrong with him. Something I couldn't explain or perhaps, I was just seeing things. 
I suddenly had a thought; an idea, so I followed his tracks and tried to catch up with him. He had only left a few seconds ago so I knew I'd see him standing by the lift waiting for it at least.
In the corridor, Peter was nowhere to be found. He had left already without so much as a polite 'goodbye'. How rude but weird! He had vanished so quickly which was disturbing.
I went over to the reception desk. The receptionist, Susan, was sitting at her computer and typing into it.
"Excuse me, Susan... did you see a man pass through here or take the lift?" I asked.
She looked around her and then looked up at me.
"No... no one has come out here or taken the lift. Who is it you are looking for?" she asked.
"The man that arrived earlier to see me... you must have seen him when he arrived," I asked.
"Oh yes... I know who you mean but he hasn't come out here yet and I would have seen him if he had because this is the only way out," she said as she smiled at me.
"Okay... thank you, Susan," I said as I walked away feeling concerned. "Is everything okay Lucy?"
I turned back around and said, "Fine... everything is fine."
I didn't want to tell her anything. I knew it would just make her worry. I needed to speak to Dr Darrell. I was miffed about Peter's quick disappearance. Why hadn't Susan seen him? Where had he gone?
Peter's lack of communication and his abrupt manner had made me wary of him. Would he come back and speak to me again or would he now deal only with Doctor Darrell? Would I want to see him again alone?
I was confused. I felt angry that he had treated me in such a way but most of all I was curious. He had been rude but something was lurking behind those eyes of his! What was it? What was he hiding?
I dreaded seeing him again and I hoped it wouldn't be soon, but something in the back of mind told me that I should see him again. I was curious. I wanted to know more about him and I wanted answers to what I had seen!


To be continued... Read Chapter 11








Copyright Denise Larkin 2018. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to The Chair - A Sci-Fi Novel Set in New York

An Introduction to The Chair and the cast will be revealed in this post. The Chair is a sci-fi story set in a fictional New York City. Check out who plays Lucy Bridges, Peter Williams and Dr Darrel Simmons along with other fictional characters that may pop up in the story.  These fictional characters maybe from movies, tv shows and more. Some of them so far have been Damon from The Vampire Diaries , Dean and Sam Winchester from Supernatural. Now find out who is starring in The Chair . New York City - taken by Denise Larkin

The Chair - A Fiction Novel by Dee Larkin

Photo credit: (taken in New York) by myself The Chair by Denise Larkin Read on below...