Skip to main content
Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow

Featured post

Time to Run - The New Walking Dead Book

My Works - Wattpad My Books on Amazon here . I have some ongoing stories on Wattpad ... check them out...

9. Peter's Focus

Photo credit: Denise Larkin (taken in New York City)


I could see Peter's expression light up when he gazed at the sight of the chair. His eyes were wide with a deep focus of determination from what I could tell. He walked around it and touched it like it was his new creation. 
Seeing him the way he was now as he stroked a finger along it and stared at the chair had made me curious. I felt I wanted to work with him because he seemed in awe of this invention. He was like a child seeing his new favourite toy for the first time.
I watched him closely. He smiled happily as he continued to touch the chair's leather armrest. He looked closely at the chair's computerised keypad, but he didn't ask anything about it. He just kept walking around it, touching it and taking the whole thing in. He was mesmerised and seemed to be in his own dreamlike bubble.
Peter's tall, athletic body was becoming something of interest to me. Since seeing him, in my dream state mind when using the chair, I felt almost drawn to him in some way. Seeing him now, made me realise it.
"What do you think of it?" I asked.
Peter didn't turn around.
"It's spectacular. Can I try it? Will you let me sit in it and experience it? I need to know what it can do," he said eagerly.
"Oh... I don't think that's wise until you learn more about it." I said feeling apprehensive that he had asked this question.
"Well... it would be better to see how it works by using it... don't you think?" He asked as he sat in it without a moment's thought as to whether I would let him try it or not.
I wasn't sure how to answer him either but I could feel how determined he was going to be.
"I think it's best if you ask Doctor Darrell if you can use it. After all, it is his invention." I said feeling unsure how this was going to go.
"I suppose you're right. Why not call him now and ask him for me. I don't want to leave here until I've tried it and ask him if he has considered making more of them unless you know the answer to my question," he said sarcastically.
Peter was definitely being ridiculous now and it annoyed me that he couldn't trust my judgement. He needed to read the manual like I did and learn what he was getting into. He couldn't expect me or Darrell to just let him sit in it without even signing anything. I had signed a clause when joining as an employee. Peter had to sign and agree to certain things before positioning himself in this invention. Surely, Darrell wouldn't just let him use it without even so much as a proper introduction to it and an agreement signed by him.
I knew I had to call Darrell as it wasn't my decision to give. It was the right thing to do. I was sure of it. I couldn't just let Peter use it. What if something happened to him whilst he was using the chair? 
There was no one but me here to help him and I didn't feel comfortable knowing with it so I decided Darrell should deal with Peter.
"Okay... I will try calling him, but he may not answer as he's rather busy today... and yes... he has considered it as it says so in the manual that there will be more of them in time."
He turned around and stared at me. He wouldn't let his eyes move away from mine, as I took out my mobile and started to dial Darrell's number.
"Well that's something to consider for the future then... this creation could be successful for lots of things and especially for security purposes," he said still staring at me.
I felt Peter's stare wander down the length of my entire body. He was checking me out. He was making me feel useless too and inadequate at my job. Why was he being so obnoxious? What if Darrell answered? Would he let Peter use the chair? 
My mind whirled around in confusion.
I hoped Darrell wouldn't answer, but he did. I feared what would happen if he said 'yes' to Peter's question. I hadn't figured out if Peter could be trusted yet and I wasn't sure if he should be allowed to use the chair that soon.
I breathed in as I said, "Hello."

To be continued...  Read Chapter 10







Copyright 2018 Denise Larkin. All Rights Reserved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to The Chair - A Sci-Fi Novel Set in New York

An Introduction to The Chair and the cast will be revealed in this post. The Chair is a sci-fi story set in a fictional New York City. Check out who plays Lucy Bridges, Peter Williams and Dr Darrel Simmons along with other fictional characters that may pop up in the story.  These fictional characters maybe from movies, tv shows and more. Some of them so far have been Damon from The Vampire Diaries , Dean and Sam Winchester from Supernatural. Now find out who is starring in The Chair . New York City - taken by Denise Larkin

10. Doctor Darrell's Answer

The Chair "Hello, Doctor... it's Lucy," I said.

The Chair - A Fiction Novel by Dee Larkin

Photo credit: (taken in New York) by myself The Chair by Denise Larkin Read on below...