Skip to main content
Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow

Featured post

Time to Run - The New Walking Dead Book

My Works - Wattpad My Books on Amazon here . I have some ongoing stories on Wattpad ... check them out...

5. Learning

Photo credit: Denise Larkin (taken in New York)


I arrived at work the next day to find a note from Dr Darrell explaining that he had to attend a conference and he would not be in today. He apologised for not remembering to tell me, which I thought was odd. He said that I should go to the second floor to see Personnel so that I could get my clearance for entering the room where 'the chair' was kept.
When I sat at my desk, I found some reports that he had left for me to read. The stuff he wanted me to learn it seemed. There was, also, an envelope with a letter inside explaining that all the details and reports for his project were in a safe. There was a key for the safe inside the envelope. 
I was shocked that he trusted me so soon with this important project. I put the envelope into my pocket and went down to Personnel where they gave me a code and authorized my handprint to open doors.
Once I was back, I immediately went to the safe and opened it. I saw a few manuals inside and some handwritten reports. I took them out and started reading them. There was too much to take in but it was all so fascinating for me. 
By lunchtime, I was eager to get to 'the chair' and use it again. Dr Darrell's reports and manuals explained in detail how to use it carefully and safely. I entered the secure room where 'the chair' was hidden and I studied the buttons and controls for it. I didn't want to use it until I had figured it out. I wanted to see if I could find someone by putting my mind into a place where I had been before. I was sure it would work because according to Darrell's reports he had figured this out. Finding individuals was something he had learned to do early on with 'the chair' because it would benefit the government in finding criminals.
So, this was it. I was about to sit in it and find the man I had seen on the train last night. I was doing this all on my own without Dr Darrell's input. I remembered the man's face very clearly. All I had to do was enter some details into the chair's computerised pad. I entered the time and date and a description of the man. The rest of the information would be automatically taken from my mind which felt freaky just thinking about it. Apparently, my mind would be transported back to that journey that I had taken on the train last night. I was unsure about it but I had to try it for myself. Would it work? Would I see the same man again? Was I doing the right thing?
I trembled as I sat in 'the chair' and lay my head back. I wanted it to work. I wanted something to happen so I could tell Darrell that I had solved something worthwhile. It had to work and I had a feeling that it would.
My palms felt sweaty as I felt the chair move downwards getting ready to start. All I had to do now was press the start button. My mind was suddenly invaded with questions. Should I do this? Would it be safe for me?  Would I see the same man on the train who I saw last night? 
I felt silly as my mind over assessed the situation. I knew my body would be safe. My body would be here in the chair the whole time my mind was transported. I would be completely safe according to Dr Darrell's notes. Everything would be fine. I was just nervous because I was doing this on my own without any help from Dr Darrell.
I took a few deep breaths and closed my eyes.  I was worrying fruitlessly. It was a foolish notion of silliness. So I got myself together and relaxed my mind before I started this experiment. In the manual, it said relaxation was frutile before starting an experiment with the chair. So I thought of my previous home in England. My family home in the countryside. A tranquil farm home where my parents lived. Greenfields was the place where I had grown up. Farm life had suited me but science had veined my life. I remembered the day I had discovered science. I had been ten years old. I'd been sitting in a field in the darkness watching the stars when it hit me. I wanted to know everything about the stars. I wanted to know what was behind them. From that point onward, my life was all about learning and discovering all things scientific.
I felt at ease as my dreamy mind thought of my younger days living at Greenfields. It had been a blast. Happiness invaded my mind as I lay there in the chair.
I was ready now. I had to start the experiment. I was taking too long. It was time. I couldn't put it off any longer. 
I placed my palm over the button. I took a deep breath and realised it was time. This was it.
I pressed the start button and I opened my eyes and saw a different surrounding. I was here. The science of the chair was the amazement I would always remember.

To be continued...
Read Chapter 6








Copyright 2018 Denise Larkin.  All Rights Reserved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to The Chair - A Sci-Fi Novel Set in New York

An Introduction to The Chair and the cast will be revealed in this post. The Chair is a sci-fi story set in a fictional New York City. Check out who plays Lucy Bridges, Peter Williams and Dr Darrel Simmons along with other fictional characters that may pop up in the story.  These fictional characters maybe from movies, tv shows and more. Some of them so far have been Damon from The Vampire Diaries , Dean and Sam Winchester from Supernatural. Now find out who is starring in The Chair . New York City - taken by Denise Larkin

10. Doctor Darrell's Answer

The Chair "Hello, Doctor... it's Lucy," I said.

The Chair - A Fiction Novel by Dee Larkin

Photo credit: (taken in New York) by myself The Chair by Denise Larkin Read on below...